Well, it’s July and that means something FROZEN! Thanks to Rachel Ray for this recipe!
- 2 Sticks of butter (I used 3 sticks)
- 3 Cups of salted pretzels, finely crushed
- 1 Cup plus 6 Tablespoons of sugar
- 2 – 8oz Packages of cream cheese, softened
- Grated peel of 3 limes, plus 1/2 cup of lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons of white rum (I used 4 Tablespoons)
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 Cups of heavy cream
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium low heat
- Stir in the pretzels and 2 Tablespoons of sugar and cook until lightly toasted – about 3 minutes
- Transfer to a bowl to cool slightly
- Do this! It is HOT!
- Press about 2 tablespoons into the bottom of each cup of a 12-cup muffin pan. Freeze for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile (because you can do 2 things a once!), using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until fluffy. Aprox. 2-3 minutes
- Mix in the remaining 1 1/4 cups of sugar on low speed
- Gradually mix in the lime peel, lime juice, rum and chopped mint
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- so this is where I screwed up. While trying to multi-task (I was making jello shots with the rest of the rum) ….I made butter. Now what?! It is 8:30 on a Friday night, fireworks were supposed to start at 10 and we needed to walk down. I would never make it to the grocery store in time.
- As we walked to the fireworks, I stopped at Gerry’s the local store to look for more heavy cream…nope, nothing. I looked for already made whipped cream….nope, nothing. So, I bought vanilla ice cream.
- Finished walking over to the fireworks only to find that they had cancelled them due to weather…..nobody told us or the rest of the town.
- So we walked home as the ice cream melted (which is what I wanted to happen!)
- I folded the melted ice cream into the cream cheese mixture
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffing cups and smooth the tops.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- As you can see, I forgot to cover them!!
- To serve, run a wet knife around each cake to remove from the pan
- Serve with a mint sprig
So next time, I would probably use a lot less of the pretzel mix or omit entirely. Might do a graham cracker crust instead. The ice cream worked out really well and no one knew the difference.
Now, what should I do with the rum flavored butter???