I really wanted to make something with apples in it this month. I found this recipe because it did not involve yeast (yes…I said it). I have not worked much with yeast but I have found a second recipe that I am going to try this month and will post the results….so any way. I wanted to make a donut but did not want to fry them…so here it goes.
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. finely diced apples
- Sift first 5 ingredients
- Add 1/3 cup shortening; mix until mixture is coarse. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine egg, milk and diced apples.
- Add to dry ingredients just until blended.
- Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- While donuts are baking, melt 1/2 cup butter. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- When donuts are done, dip in butter and then in sugar mixture.
I doubled the recipe from the start – above is the original recipe that yields 12.
I would call these apple muffins rather than donuts but they are delish!
I just went to the store and bought yeast for the next doughnut recipe…stay tuned!