Neve – Brownies
Back in the day when I had a coffee bar at Sugarbush in Vermont, I would bake these brownies every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night throughout the winter. One Christmas, I fell asleep on the floor in front of the oven while waiting for the last batch to bake. It would have been a real disaster had they burnt, but thankfully they didn’t and I was able to crawl into bed for a few precious hours of sleep before heading back to the mountain.
All those memories safely in the past, I whipped up a batch of these fantastic brownies without any post-traumatic stress!
I’ve come to accept that I’m a rather predictable (read: boring) person. Once I find something I like, I stop searching. When I go to my favourite breakfast spot, I always order a breakfast burrito. When I need to grab a quick bottle of white wine, it’s Oyster Bay. When I bake brownies, it’s Hershey’s Best Brownies (never with nuts).
Reliable, methodical and most of all, practical…I can’t help it, I’m a Virgo!
Hershey’s Best Brownies – makes approx. 24 small brownies
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 °F /177 °C
2. Grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
3. Melt butter in microwave.
4. Stir in sugar and vanilla.
5. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
6. In a separate bowl, mix cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt
7. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir gently until well blended.
8. Stir in nuts, if desired.
9. Pour batter into pan.
10. Bake 30-35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides.
11. Cool completely.
This recipe is really easy to double or triple (!). I never add nuts to my brownies and I always serve with ice cream.