Well, since I stopped eating bread 3 weeks ago, I knew that this month would be tough. I LOVE bread but I am enjoying the weight loss too….so here is the “bread” that we have been enjoying as of late. Thanks to Elana’s Pantry for the original recipe that I modified to work with in our diet.
2 cups flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon arrowroot powder
1 tablespoon honey
5 eggs, whisked
½ cup water
⅓ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl combine flax meal, baking soda, and arrowroot powder
- In a smaller bowl, mix together honey, eggs, water and olive oil
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, mixing well, then allow to stand for 2-3 minutes so that batter thickens
- Pour batter into a sprayed 11-by-7-Inch pyrex baking dish (this recipe also works well in muffin tins)
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or so until a knife comes out clean
- Remove from oven and cool
I have modified this recipe and made banana bread by adding 1 1/2 bananas and reducing the eggs to 4.