Carrot Cake – yes from scratch!
6 cups grated carrots
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts — I omitted
1. In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
****This seems to make the whole cake. I actually let them sit overnight***
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9 or 10 inch cake pans.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed.
5. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and all the sugary water
6. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
7. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
8. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners’ sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.
This cake was so good! I actually colored the frosting and made it into a fairy cake for a 6 year olds birthday.
Thanks to Allrecipes.com for both delicious recipes. Now off to drink some wine so I can do February’s posting!