Cupcakes made for Ruth’s Surprise Party!!
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup coffee flavored liqueur — I used Bailey’s Flavored Coffee Creamer
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream — I did not use
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- Add instant coffee to cake mix and prepare cake according to instructions on package. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans. Bake according to instructions on package. Allow to cool.
- I made cupcakes instead
- With a large serrated knife, split each layer horizontally to make 4 layers.
- Again, this does not apply…again, I made cupcakes 🙂
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the coffee liqueur on each of the 4 layers.
- Again, skipped this step 🙂
- Make the pudding according to package directions, but add the remaining 1/4 cup of coffee liqueur.
- Here is where I made a mistake. I used the coffee creamer that is lactose free instead of milk in the pudding…..however, because it was lactose free, the pudding did not set…..so, I mixed this mixture with some butter cream frosting that I had already made and thickened the mixture.
- Spread 1/3 of pudding between each layer of cake as you assemble. Whip cream with sugar until stiff peaks form.
- I took some of the filling and filled the cupcakes and then frosted with the same mixture.
- Spread on top and sides of (cup)cakes. Sprinkle with coconut.